Who we are
What is the Big Local?
Big Local is an exciting opportunity for residents in 150 areas around England to use at least £1m each to make a massive and lasting positive difference to their communities. Big Local brings together all the local talent, ambitions, skills and energy from individuals, groups and organisations who want to make their area an even better place to live.
Big Local is funded by the Big Lottery Fund and managed by Local Trust. Nationally we work with a range of partners to deliver Big Local, building on the skills and experiences of others to provide expert advice and support for residents.
The 4 main outcomes of the Big Local project are
- Communities will be better able to identify local needs and take action in response to them.
- People will have increased skills and confidence, so that they continue to identify and respond to needs in the future.
- The community will make a difference to the needs it prioritises.
- People will feel that their area is an even better place to live.
What Big Local is not:
- It’s not about your local authority, the government or a national organisation telling you what to do.
- It's not about individual groups fixing their favourite problem without talking to a wide range of different people who live and work in the community.
- It's not about short-term thinking – you’ve got 10 years or more to plan and deliver the best options for your area.
St Peter's and the Moors Big Local
In December 2012 St Peter’s and The Moors was selected as one of the 150 Big Local areas in England to receive at least £1 million from the Local Trust over 10 years! Our two year plan for the area was accepted by the Local Trust in December 2014.
Our long term vision for St Peter’s and The Moors is to be “An inspiring community of supportive neighbours”
The changes we want to bring about to achieve this vision are:
- enabling residents to be supportive neighbours;
- helping residents to make ends meet;
- making the area safer and cleaner; and
- developing more things to do and places to go in our community.
A lot of people enjoy living in our area and there’s a strong sense of community. However, unlike other areas in Cheltenham where there are concentrations of people living on low incomes, our area has not previously benefited from regeneration funding. This is therefore a great opportunity for local residents to decide what changes would improve the area for the future and how we can make our area an even better place to live and work.
Below is a short video from the Big Local Connects Event from 2018. These events are an amazing networking opportunity for residents. If you are a resident of the big local area and would like to attend a similar event, please get in touch!